Monday, February 19

An Ode to Henry Fish

About 3 years ago I was watching The Block and I got an idea for a fish that I wanted to do for myself from the moment I saw it, except that instead of having a blue fish it needed to be red. What the guy had done was taken a blue Siamese Fighter Fish and put it in a really nice vase with some stones in the bottom and it looked absolutely stunning. So I searched high and low in every pet shop I stumbled into for a red one but eventually gave up on the idea that a red Siamese Fighter even existed.

So I told The Honourable Whiteboy about this and low and behold for Valentine's Day there it was. Now 58 phone calls and a trip to Kempton Park later he had managed to find my little fishy for me and a really gorgeous vase to boot (major major brownie points there!!!!) And his name.......Henry Fish. He was really really so cute and it looked so good in my room.

So I get Henry Fish on Wednesday evening and after a HUGE night at the Maneater on Thursday evening I walk into my room on Friday morning and say hi to my little Henry but I notice that he is awfully still and right at the bottom of the vase. So I slowly walk, well creep with baited breath would be a better description, up to the vase and give it a little tap next to Henry and nothing. Dont panic now, he might just be really really REALLY still, so I tap it again......NOTHING. Now I am freaking out so I grab the top of the vase and give it a bit of a shake.........NOTHING. Henry Fish is dead. PANIC ensues and now I have no idea what to do. It was a mixture of about to burst into tears and terror. I mean I had the little guy for just one day, ONE day and he dies and so much effort was put into finding the little guy for me. Now Whiteboy and I are going away for the weekend and he is about to fetch me so that we can start our trip so any ideas of trying to replace him has gone out the window (yes the idea did cross my mind!!!) so all I could do was tell him. The coward that I am sends him an sms that says that poor little Henry is dead. And the response was "I had him for 4 days and he was fine, you had him for 1 and he dies, ONE day". I cannot explain the feeling of guilt and sadness I had, well still have over poor little Henry Fish. I am mortified!

As Whiteboy later said to me I am lucky that he did not say to me that it was a symbol of our relationship!

This does not bode well for any future pet gifts! Sigh....poor little Henry Fish, he shall be missed!!!

Have a PMS/CBS and hopefully pet death free day now

SweetPea

10 comments:

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

big up to whitey. sure knows how to win those brownie points!!!! so few nice boys around Sweet pea,im impressed. next time try not to kill off the gift, this looks bad... try a love fern next, those are a little stronger than fish

Her Infinite Cuteness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jam said...

My condolences Sweetpea – I too had a red Siamese fighter fish a while back. His name was Redro and he was alive for about a year. I think I may have pushed his expiry date a little further forward than it should have been by working him up by putting a mirror next to his bowl, while he tried to kill his reflection. Ah Redro. He was the best.

Sweet Pea said...

Ahhh my cuteness there are some nice ones around, you just have to filter through a few first to find them!

Not sure about me and plants either to be honest. This is not giving me the confidence in the future parenting department!

Urk said...

henry fish. tut tut. see you at john dory.

Sweet Pea said...

Thanks msmozi. I was told about the mirror thing but I never got the chance to try it out....sniff sniff!!!!

Think Henry Fish and Redro (cute by the way) are in Fishy heaven together now ;)

Sweet Pea said...

Urk that is horrible and mean!!

Anonymous said...

You think because you write a nice piece about him I’m going to forgive you for your flagrant disregard for life.
You are a cold blooded killer!

Anonymous said...

Clearly I'm not doing any good in the brownie points department!

Phlippy said...

Thank God it wasn't a Kitten... //crickets