Monday, March 19

Girl on girl action.

Last week I headed off to the optometrist. So I’m sitting in the office waiting, looking at the structure of the eye and contacts that make your eyes violet. When in walks the optometrist. Now usually this usually isn’t an event but she was someone I went to school with! Not that that was the bad part, she was a year BELOW me. Oh my gosh, panic ensues, I’m sure she is going to poke out my eyes with her pen while asking me to look at the giant E. She doesn’t. Instead things go as all eye tests do. I walk out to pick some new frames. Now the girl from school looks at me in the frames I have selected and tells me I have a face for glasses, I should be a glasses model. Enter the SHMODEL pose. (It seems to follow me everywhere and pop up in the most bizarre places!) Finally someone who agrees with me, I should be a model. (Hahaha)

Now this encounter made me recall my school days. My entire school career was spent in schools which were all-girl institutions. My primary school was a catholic school, with all the trimmings. Nuns, Religion everyday, 2 hour masses and monthly religious retreats. My high school was not a convent with no nuns with rulers (eventually the red swollen knuckles healed). Although the 2 schools were very different, the unspoken rules that all the girls followed remained the same. These are as follows.



  1. There are 4 core groups in every year. The Academics. They quietly get on with their many academic triumphs without causing too much of a stir. The Ass-Kissers. They are not as clever as The Academics, but achieve through hard work. They are the girls that sacrifice the other girls in the year just to make themselves look better. (These are the girls whose mom did all their work for them in primary school). The Rebels. These girls didn’t over achieve or under achieve. They spent most of their time in trouble. If something happened that was considered “unacceptable” behaviour, these were the girls who were looked at first, generally because they were responsible. Finally The A Team. These are the girls who were general over-achievers in sport and academics. They were fun and could get away with odd bad behaviour. This is the group where you would generally find your head-girls and prefects…
  2. The girls in younger standards are generally the enemy, despite the friendly hellos in the hallway and hugs and kisses at boy-school socials.
  3. Each group in every year has a specific spot where they sit EVERY break. No one is to sit in a groups spot, regardless of superiority. If this rule is broken a silent war ensues. This may eventually turn into a physical war as I learnt in Std 5.
  4. If a girl in a younger year dates an ex-boyfriend of an older girl, chaos ensues. There are no group divides here, it is year on year war here people. I’m afraid being ‘traded in for a younger model rage’ doesn’t just come into play when you are 40. This too can turn into a physical battle, which I again learnt in Std 5. (catholic girls are rough ok)


Now seeing this girl from school brought back memories of just how ridiculous girls can be. All the bitchiness and gossiping really was so pathetic and unnecessary. We all had pretty much the same insecurities and all feel like every female on the planet is against us. A couple of years down the line and we can all sit and chat nicely as if none of that bickering ever happened, still feeling awkward from our silliness at school. Hindsight is really 20/20. Mine isn’t though and my new pink glasses look absolutely smashing on my fabulous self *shmodel pose*

Remain Infinitely Cute
XXX

6 comments:

Phlippy said...

Keen to see the glasses young lady :-)

Guy schools have similar issues, you're not alone.

lordwiggly said...

Hang on, the heading and the content didn't tie together at all. Please rewrite and make the content more relevant to the title.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

*Evil Grin*

DaveRich said...

Having to an all guys Catholic school on the East Rand may I please comment. The only thing wrong with our school was the lack of girls. The camaradery that still exists today is awesome. Bumping into fellow class mates nowadays is a good excuse to have a beer and a good old talk about old times. Girls can be bitchy though I agree.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

Boy schools are a different kettle of fish...

hmmmm another kid from the East....

Anonymous said...

The theme is interesting, I will take part in discussion. Together we can come to a right answer.