Friday, August 3

Biting the Hand

I’m sure most of you have heard about the fifth year med student who was raped at Bara this week. I felt the usual amounts of sadness and rage for this poor girl, who was violated in the worst possible way.

It has always amazed me, how people can hurt those that are there to help them. This is a lesson I learnt in my first year studying law. We went to sit in on a case where a young female lawyer would go into poorer and rural areas to offer legal assistance to people who couldn’t afford it, and to educate them as to what their rights were etc. a hugely noble act considering she was a public prosecutor, and we are all aware of how swamped they are, and she did this pro bono work in her own time. One day, she was walking through a tunnel, where she was attacked, raped (more than once), mugged, beaten and shot 5 times in the back. Her body left in the gutter, in a puddle of mucky water, face down. I can describe this image so clearly because I saw the case file. Now the men accused could not afford legal council and so the state provided them a lawyer, as this is their right. My problem with that is that the lawyer was in fact the victim’s friend. Their lawyer was bound by ethics, to give them a decent defense. All valid and reasonable expectations but knowing it was her friend added an extra sting to this already disturbing story. I stopped studying law after that and it has taken me 7 years to return to the degree.

Now I hear this story. I have a considerable amount of friends studying medicine and they regularly work at Bara. I know that this degree requires a huge commitment of roughly 10 years minimum but to do it, one requires passion! When you hit roughly 5th year, you work in the hospitals almost everyday, doing 24 hour shifts etc. And no pay. Granted you are learning. But you are offering medical care to those who cannot afford it. It is indeed noble! And then one of the students is raped.

Justice? Is there such a thing?
And don’t even get me started on so-called “Karma”

Remain Infinitely Cute
XXX

No comments: