Thursday, February 14

Show us what you made of…

Recently while reading a discussion on the incorrect spelling of the word metal I was reminded of a conversation I had with my brother roughly 2 weeks ago.

My brother has a rather interesting and busy love life. He has no problem with women and in all honesty women don’t generally stand a chance when faced with the eternally charming Beers. I asked him how long the current one would last and although he didn’t answer all indicators showed she had at that point had passed her Best Before date and was to be removed from his shelf. She didn’t have the METTLE. Mettle is what a person is made of, what they need to survive life but mostly other people. Considerable amounts of mettle is required to survive the Cutenesses, if you don’t have enough of it or take too long to show it you will be found wanting. Allow me to explain.

Firstly we are not a bunch of miserable horrid people who massacre bunnies at family lunches. We are kind, caring and extremely generous souls who are highly dependable and fiercely loyal. BUT….

We, particularly my brother and I, are incredibly complex individuals. We are all incredibly demanding and have high expectations of people. This often finds us disappointed by people and so our opinion of the general population is less than complimentary. I am in fact a firm believer that natural selection needs a little help and certain people need to be put down. (I am aware that I would more than likely be one of these, however this does not sway my opinion, there are people that this world could just do without. For this greater good, I would put the needle in my arm myself).

We do not suffer fools and are totally intolerant of stupidity. In fact I get so infuriated by it I’m getting irritated just typing the word. My family is incredibly intelligent, with my brother and sister both being described as gifted. They are all incredibly successful, over-achievers and so mediocrity is not something they know, understand or particularly accept.

We are, myself in particular, very hard people. I wasn’t always but the last few years have made me someone who I believe isn’t all that nice, very angry and very cynical. We cannot stand people who are pathetic. “Woe is me” crap, “why me” shit. IT MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT. To quote an Aussie show which I believe puts it perfectly “Harden the fuck up.” My mother and I cannot stand, in particular, weak women. We call them fall-about-women. This conjures a picture of a pathetic weeping woman flailing around with her hand to her forehead waiting to be rescued.

We are informed people, make sure you know what you are talking about before you start talking otherwise you wont walk properly for a month, you will be ripped apart. And please develop opinions of your own. Simply repeating what your boyfriend, parent or friend has said because it sounded intelligent falls in the category of stupidity (see above for feelings on that).

We have no time for liars or morons. We are blunt and as honest as they come. If we do not like you, you generally know, if not you are blind, deaf, dumb and in a grave.
We have fierce tempers so you don’t want to piss us off. My siblings and I are incredibly unforgiving and do not forget easily. You don’t really want to cross us and find yourself on our bad side. (We might death-stare you to death lol). The 3 of us (offspring) have a very dark and slightly inappropriate sense of humour, it is however dry and intelligent. None of this Borat crap. (Dear god if another moron does his Borat impression, firstly get your own material and secondly you sound like an idiot, unless your goal is to turn me off then well-done!).

My friends are made of good mettle, I think in fact, they make my mettle considerably better. And actually thinking about it, Token, who has had it the hardest out of all of them from my family (particularly Beers), has showed his mettle to my family like no other really has.
I find my family chaotic and hugely exhausting. One could feel like they had stepped into an episode of the Osbornes with the swearing etc. You can’t take offense to things too easily, or you will be told to get over it. A tough person needs to come into this, especially if it’s my boyfriend, because good luck with Beers darlings. You have to be made of strong mettle to survive the cutenesses, and I have only mentioned the stuff I'm happy to talk about. I must say in the last few years I haven’t met anyone who even comes close to being made of the right stuff. Tragic really.

Remain Infinitely Cute
Xxx

7 comments:

John Nelson said...

Got a tear in my eye, just Tragic.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

isnt it just

__ said...

The sheep don't like smarts, no sir:

"Also, there's a certain glint in her eye generally possessed by those people who have found that they are more intelligent than most people around them but who haven't yet learned that one of the most intelligent things they can do is prevent said people ever finding this out."--Terry Pratchett, "Lords&Ladies"

Tempting though it may be, it is poor style and a losing strategy to throw people's stupidity back in their faces. Although I don't suffer willful fools either and tend to avoid them, I think it is better to light a candle (not a flamethrower) than to curse the dark.

Plus, if it weren't for the sheeple, who would keep buying all the shit they don't need and ensure the turnover of our consumerist society? ;)

All said and done, ranting can be therapeutic.

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

GD, hi there :)

I am not one to use a flamethrower to highlight one's stupidity. Perhaps I did not make myself clear.
The stupidity that drives me into such rage is the kind that, when people who otherwise seem intelligent and are capable of so much more, behave like they are unable to dress themselves in the morning. They behave like their actions have no consequence or in fact they weren't aware of such consequences whereas a badly trained monkey would have known exactly what was potting. Perhaps stupidly selfish would have been more appropriate.

People who are a little slow on the uptake are not what i refer to when i comment on stupidity, these aren't the people who pretend to be something they are not.
It is difficult for me, clearly, to refer to the general always when I am thinking of the specific.

__ said...

Aaah, you are referring to the scourge of humankind, namely wanton stupidity. I completely agree - when encountering such cases it is our duty, nay, our _privilege_, to act as karmic delivery mechanisms all over those shitheads. *breathe*

A beautiful Afrikaans proverb describes it thusly: "As jy dom is moet jy kak."

Anonymous said...

"They behave like their actions have no consequence or in fact they weren't aware of such consequences whereas a badly trained monkey would have known exactly what was potting."

Aint that just the pot calling the kettle black?

Her Infinite Cuteness said...

Anon, perhaps. but the beauty of human beings is that they make mistakes and learn from them. people learn more about themselves and others after a truly huge fuck up. There is no one in this world who has not acted carelessly with anothers feelings and if someone thinks they havent, u need to ask those around them. its the people who dont learn from these errors and perpetuate the behaviour as if it is perfectly acceptable and you find yourself looking at the same situation 8 months down the line, that are the problem.

Everyone is entitled to fuck up, in terms of your argument everyone is the pot.